Certificate in Translation (German/English)
From the 2010-11 CSUSB Bulletin, Catalog of Programs
Certificates may be earned by regularly matriculated or extended learning students and denote successful completion of a prescribed program of study designed to a) impart specified professional/vocational/career competencies; or b) produce mastery of the content of a sub-field of an academic major (discipline); or c) provide exposure to the range of materials in a traditional or emerging interdisciplinary field. Certain certificate programs contain 600-level courses as
requirements and/or electives. These 600-level courses may not be taken by undergraduate students. See Page 60 of the 2010-2011 CSUSB Bulletin [pdf] for additional certificate information.
Note: Entering students with previous training in German, and those who are native speakers, should contact the Department of World Languages and Literatures for information about advanced placement and credit by examination.
Certificate Requirements (36 units)
1. Proficiency in German equal to GER 103. College German III or equivalent and completion of the following requirements with a grade point average of 2.7 ("B-") or better.
Lower-division requirements (12 units)
1. GER 212. Composition (4)
2. GER 214. Conversation (4)
3. GER 216. Introduction to Literary Texts (4)
Upper-division requirements (24 units)
1. ENG 306. Expository Writing (4)
2. GER 309. Advanced German Composition (4)
3. GER 311. Survey of German Literature (4)
4. GER 312. Business German (4)
5. GER 313. Technical and Scientific Translation (4)
6. HUM 460. Cultural Studies (4) (when the topic pertains to Germany)